This is a bit of a bibliography. For other reading lists see, e.g., this collection.
Table of Contents
- 1 Ancient History
- 2 Medieval History
- 3 Modern History
- 4 Biographies, Memoirs
1 Ancient History
- The Cambridge Ancient History 2d ed., 14 vols. in 19 books. (16552 pages) PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
1.1 Ancient Greek History
- The Fall of the Athenian Empire, by Donald Kagan. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press (1987) 455 pages.
- Thucydides' The History of the Peloponnesian War, translated by Richard Crawley (Gutenberg)
1.2 Macedonian Warfare
- Alexander the Great, by W.W. Tarn. 2 vols. bound in one. Chicago, IL: Ares Publishing (1981), 675 pages. GDL Central Library Non-Fiction
938.07 TAR 1956
- Landmark Arrian: The Campaigns of Alexander, Panetheon Press (2011) 560 pages. PAS Central Library New Book Shelf
- The Greek and Macedonian Art of War, by Frank E. Adcock; GDL Central Library Non-Fiction
- Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army, by Donald W. Engels; GDL Central Library Non-Fiction
Note: this is probably one of the greatest books for any student of military science/history/theory, everyone should own it and have it on their night stand.
- The Generalship Of Alexander The Great, by J. F. C. Fuller; GDL Central Library Non-Fiction
1.3 Roman Warfare
- Caesar's Commentaries (Gutenberg).
- The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire: From the First Century A.D. to the Third, by Edward N. Luttwak; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 4th Floor
- The Fall of the Roman Empire: The Military Explanation, by Arther Ferrill
2 Medieval History
- The (New) Cambridge Medieval History, 8 vols.
- History of Rome in the Middle Ages, by Ferdinand Gregorovius (there are eight volumes total)
- The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, by Edward Gibbon (Gutenberg)
- The Life of Belisarius: The Last Great General of Rome, by Lord Mahon.
2.1 Medieval England
- William Wallace, by Andrew Fisher, Birlinn Publishers; 2nd edition (April 2002) 256 pages.
- The three Edwards, by Thomas B. Costain; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
2.1.1 Hundred Years War
- Froissart's Chronicles, in the modern English eprint.
- The Hundred Years War: the English in France, 1337-1453, by Desmond Seward; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
- The Hundred Years War: Volume I, Trial by Battle, by Jonathan Sumption.
- The Hundred Years War: Volume II, Trial by Fire, by Jonathan Sumption.
- The Hundred Years War: Volume III, Divided houses, by Jonathan Sumption; PAS Central Library, New Book Shelf
- The history of the Mongol conquests, by J.J. Saunders; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
- The Mongol Art of War, by Timothy May; GDL Central Library Non-Fiction
- The Devil's horsemen: the Mongol invasion of Europe, by James Chambers; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
- History of the Mongols: based on Eastern and Western accounts of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, by Bertold Spuler; GDL Central Library Non-Fiction
- Imperial nomads: a history of central Asia, 500–1500, by Luc Kwanten; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
- The empire of the steppes: a history of central Asia, Rene Grousset; GDL Central Library Non-Fiction
2.3 Medieval Warfare
- The Art of War in the Middle Ages, A.D. 378-1515, by Charles William Chadwick Oman. Google books.
- A History of the Art of War in the Middle Ages: Volume One: 378-1278 AD, by C.W.C. Oman.
- A History of the Art of War in the Middle Ages: Volume Two: 1278-1485 AD, by C.W.C. Oman.
- War in the Middle Ages, by Philippe Contamine
- Warfare in Feudal Europe, 730-1200, by John Beeler
3 Modern History
- The New Cambridge modern history; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
3.1 Thirty Years War
- The Thirty Years War: Europe's tragedy, by Peter H. Wilson; PAS Lamanda Park Branch Non-fiction
- A military history and atlas of the Napoleonic Wars, prepared by Vincent J. Esposito; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
OVERSZ 940.27 ESP
- Dictionary of the Napoleonic wars, David G. Chandler; GDL Central Library Reference
- The Art of War, by baron Henri Jomini (Gutenberg)
- Treatise on grand military operations: or, A critical and military history of the wars of Frederick the Great, as contrasted with the modern system. Together with a few of the most important principles of the art of war, Volume 1, by baron Henri Jomini (Google Books)
- The French Revolution, by Thomas Carlyle (Gutenberg)
- The Campaigns of Napoleon, by David G. Chandler. Scribner (1973) 1172 pages.
- History Of The German General Staff, 1657-1945, by Walter Goerlitz, Brian Battershaw and Walter Millis; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
- History of Friedrich II of Prussia, by Thomas Carlyle (there are 22 volumes total, Gutenberg)
- The Washing Of The Spears: The Rise And Fall Of The Zulu Nation, by Donald R. Morris
- Like lions they fought : the Zulu war and the last Black empire in South Africa, by Robert B. Edgerton. GDL Central Library Non-Fiction
- The decline and fall of the British Empire, 1781-1997, by Piers Brendon. PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
3.5 United States
- Eagles and Empire: The United States, Mexico, and the Struggle for a Continent, by David A. Clary; GDL Central Library Non-Fiction
3.5.1 Civil War
- The U.S. Army War College Guide to the Battle of Antietam: The Maryland Campaign of 1862, by Jay Luvaas
- The Gettysburg Campaign; a study in command, by Edwin B. Coddington; GDL Central Library Non-Fiction
- Civil War Trilogy, by Shelby Foote; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
- Stonewall in the Valley, by Robert G. Tanner; Second Ed. 1996.
3.5.2 Second Iraq War
- Iraq and the Evolution of American Strategy, by Steven Metz and Colin S. Gray
- The Gamble: General David Petraeus and the American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2006-2008, by Thomas E. Ricks; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
- A history of Iran: empire of the mind, by Michael Axworthy; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
- Afghanistan: a cultural and political history, by Thomas Barfield. PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
- Afghanistan: a short history of its people and politics, by Martin Ewans; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
- The wars of Afghanistan: messianic terrorism, tribal conflicts, and the failures of great powers, by Peter Tomsen; PAS Central Library New Book Shelf
- Empires of Mud: Wars and Warlords in Afghanistan, by Antonio Giustozzi. Columbia University Press, 2009.
- Moltke's tactical problems from 1858-1882, by Helmuth Moltke; Google Books
- European Armies and the Conduct of War, by Hew Strachan
- A Military History of the Western World. by J. F. C. Fuller, three vols. PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
- The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660–1783, by Alfred Thayer Mahan (Gutenberg).
- History of the Art of War Within the Framework of Political History, by Hans Delbruck (1987) 487 pages.
- War in the shadows: The guerrilla in history, by Robert Asprey; 2 vols.
- Guerrilla Strategies: An Historical Anthology from the Long March to Afghanistan, Gérard Chaliand (Editor) University of California Press (1982) 368 pages.
- Counterintersurgency Warfare: Theory and Practice, by David Galula.
- Sling and the Stone: on War in the 21st Century, by Thomas Hammes.
- Modern Warfare: A French View of Counterinsurgency, by Roger Trinquier
3.9 World War I
- The price of glory: Verdun 1916, by Alistair Horne; GDL Central Library Non-Fiction
3.10 World War II
- The bitter woods; the dramatic story, told at all echelons, from supreme command to squad leader, of the crisis that shook the Western coalition: Hitler's surprise Ardennes offensives, by John S. D. Eisenhower; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
3.11 Korean War
- This kind of war: the classic Korean War history, by T.R. Fehrenbach; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
3.12 Vietnam War
- Battles in the monsoon; campaigning in the the Central Highlands, Vietnam, summer 1966, by S. L. A. Marshall; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
3.13 Middle-East Conflicts
- The Arab-Israeli wars: war and peace in the Middle East, by Chaim Herzog; GDL Central Library Non-Fiction
4 Biographies, Memoirs
- R.E. Lee, by Douglas Southall Freeman, available online (uchicago.edu)
- GFR Henderson's Stonewall Jackson and the American Civil War. Gutenberg eprint
- Grant and Lee: A Study in Personality and Generalship, by JFC Fuller
- The Challenge of Command: Reading for Military Excellence, by Roger Nye
- The Patton Mind, by Roger Nye
- Patton: a genius for war, by Carlo D'Este. PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
92 PATTON,G DES
- Personal memoirs of U.S. Grant, by Ulysses S. Grant; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
- The memoirs of Marshal Foch; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
- The Rommel Papers, edited by B.H. Liddel Hart; GDL Central Library Non-Fiction
- Lightning Joe: an autobiography, by J. Lawton Collins; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
4.1 Genghis Khan
- Genghis Khan and the making of the modern world, by Jack Weatherford; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
92 GENGHIS KHAN WEA
- Genghis Khan, the emperor of all men by Harold Lamb; GDL Central Library Non-Fiction
92 Genghis Khan LAM
- Genghis Khan, by R. P. Lister; GDL Central Library Non-Fiction
92 Genghis Khan LIS
4.2 Alexander Suvorov
- The art of victory, by Philip Longworth; PAS Central Library Non-fiction, 1st Floor
- Eagles over the Alps: Suvorov in Italy and Switzerland, by Christopher Duffy